KS2 Enterprise Menu and KS2 Enterprise Recipe Book
Two resources used by a secondary school with older pupils in partner primary schools:
- The KS2 Enterprise Menu - a selection of curriculum-based enterprise workshops;
- The KS2 Enterprise Recipe Book - a collection of lesson plans based on the Menu workshops so that primary teachers can run the activities back at school.
Purpose and process
To provide primary schools with opportunities to highlight and develop their pupils' entrepreneurial skills and capabilities within their chosen subject areas.
- The KS2 Enterprise Menu contains a brief synopsis of a range of curriculum based workshops which have been written by subject specialists in the secondary school. The primary partner selects their choice of workshops and the secondary school then puts together a bespoke "Enterprise Day" for them. The Enterprise Day consists of a series of workshops selected by the school to structure a process of 'learning by doing'.
- The KS2 Enterprise Recipe Book is a collection of the lesson plans needed for each workshop so that the primary schools can run their own workshops later on.
- Develop entrepreneurial skills and capabilities in the context of specific curriculum subjects, thereby gaining understanding of the relevance of their learning in school to the world outside school.
- Increase their understanding of how entrepreneurial skills and capabilities can be developed through subject areas.
Curricular or thematic relevance
Workshops are customised to suit specific subjects chosen by school but any subject can be enhanced by adopting an enterprising approach to learning and skills development.
How to organise:
The Enterprise Day facilitated by the NMBEC subject specialists requires a suspended timetable, but an individual workshop run by the teacher could be incorporated into a double lesson period, or organised as an extra-curricular activity.
Assessment and evaluation approaches
Evaluation is built into the Enterprise Day and assessment can also take place during the individual workshops as part of the plan-do-review process.
The Enterprise Day is facilitated by subject specialists from the secondary school who developed the workshop programme. Schools could involve other partners when using the Recipe Book to run their own workshops, for example, business mentors.
The Recipe Book is used with a partnership group of 10 local primary schools but is also made available on request to other schools to support the development of enterprise education in their own settings.
Files for download:nmbec_ks2_enterprise_recipe_book.pdf / 5075kB
helper do TM detail body (June 6th, 1st half)
Fabulous activities that provide children with enterprising skills as problem solving, taking initiative or risk but also with social skills, open mindness and building their confidence. Exercises based on school curriculum subjects so as they are easy to fit in different lessons.